Friday, October 22, 2010

Two Concerts, One Evening

As ya'll know, there sure is a lot of music in Vienna - so much so that last night, there were four big musical events that I wanted to attend all happening at 7:30pm. What to do when Salome, Bartok's Concerto for Orchestra, a trumpet concerto concert, and a student concert at my "school" conflict with one another...

Konzerthaus Wien
Well, since trumpet concerto concerts are rare, I decided to go see the 27-year-old Austrian trumpet player play two concertos, one of which has been called the most difficult piece in the trumpet repertory. The young lad with the trumpet wore a ridiculous velvety maroon blazer in the small hall of the Konzerthaus. He played it and the other concerto quite well. A crazy 20th century piece for strings was thrown in between the two trumpet showpieces. The composer of that contemporary piece happened to attend the concert. He got up on stage after it was played and spoke to the intimate crowd and I for a lengthy ten minutes. I believe I would've been giggling and chuckling along with my Austrian audience members if only I understood what the man was saying.

At intermission, I made a quick decision - something I'm not known for. I bolted out of that Konzerthaus to the Musikverein to meet some pals and see Bartok's Concerto for Orchestra for the second time in Vienna.

Musikverein
I arrived not knowing if I'd have to buy a standing room ticket although the concert was almost half over. I watched the end of the first half on a TV screen in the lobby. All I could make out was a percussionist running around the front of the stage. I inferred that it was a somewhat recent Percussion Concerto. At intermission, I grabbed a little Musikverein concert schedule and pretended I was one of the many ticket-holders walking right past the ticket lady. I made it to the standing-room unscathed and found my pals. I considered standing for the 45 minute-long piece that followed, but not for long. I scoped the hall for empty seats. I instructed the pals, "If you don't see me up in the balcony in three minutes, call the police." Nah, I didn't say to call the police but I did say to meet me up there if I give the 'go' symbol. I found some empty seats right next to the magnificent organ. I gave the 'go' sign, they followed. We then experienced the Vienna Radio Symphony Orchestra led by a 30-year old baby (conductor) perform Bartok's magnum opus written in 1943 from up above. That's right, we were theoretically hovering above the orchestra. We managed to upset some people around us once they realized we didn't pay for those seats, in my case, I hadn't paid for any seats or standing-spots, but hey...those seats were going to go to waste. Forget about 'em. Eh?

This leads me to my next point. Having been in Vienna for about two months now, I have realized part of the study abroad experience or traveling in general results in agitating the natives. I'd say I infuriate about five to ten Austrians a day here. Sometimes I'm not exactly sure of the proper U-Bahn-riding etiquette. Perhaps I forget that I have to press a button to open the doors, maybe I'll stand in someone's way and won't realize people are asking me to move...things of that sort. Let me take it to the concert hall. I've been swiping people's unclaimed seats at the Musikverein which clearly irritates those around me, especially when I'm with my IES American friends who don't seem to know how to "fly under the radar" or "use indoor voices." Speaking of "indoor voices," one friend here in specific has a big problem with that practice. On the Straßenbahn (trams) and the U-Bahn, he doesn't seem to understand that commuters don't particularly care to hear an American college student speaking in English about vulgar or just plain dumb things. It is times like these when I pretend I'm not associated with the loudmouth-Sallys. In supermarkets, such as Spar and Billa and such, I prefer using a credit card instead of cash. The only problem with that is that I never know what the credit card swiper machine is telling me to do so within a few seconds a long, disgruntled line of Viennese people-in-a-rush forms behind me.

That's all for now. In a few hours I'm playing Dvorak's New World Symphony for two pianos for a friend's conducting lesson. At the same time, about twenty IES (MUSIC PERFORMANCE WORKSHOP) students get to attend the Vienna Philharmonic's rehearsal of Dvorak's New World Symphony a few blocks away at the Musikverein. If I was in the Music Performance Workshop or if I wasn't playing the piano for a friend, I'd be there. Ugh, IES.

German midterm tomorrow mornin'. Make a Friday evening toast for me if you can. I need all the help I can get to make Frau Schachermeier proud.

Enjoy your weekend,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG9tuuznL1Y
Dannykins

No comments:

Post a Comment