Sunday, October 3, 2010

Potential Terror Plot in Europe

Welly welly welly.

I know you may not believe dear old Daniel but while walking the streets, riding the U-Bahn, and stepping into some of the most gorgeous, old concert halls and buildings here in Vienna, the thought of a terrorist attack has come up in my mind numerous times. I might as well be completely honest with everyone and I hope I'm not jinxing it for Vienna, but if this terrorist attack were to take place in Vienna ---- well, then it'd be a wake-up call for this place. Perhaps its just my New York City, post-September 11th upbringing, but I wouldn't mind seeing a few more of these folks 
around this city --- particularly in or around the Musikverein, Konzerthaus, and Staatsoper. Bring all the big, scary Viennese bouncers from the Praterdome and all those other 20 Euro entrance fee clubs to the artsy places. Make them protect that art with their lives. Once again, I don't want to jinx anything but....sure glad I'm not in London or Paris.

I was at the Musikverein earlier tonight and I took note of an especially creepy, lurking, muttering-to-himself man. I haven't heard anything yet so I'm assuming the hall's still standing. I left that concert at intermission simply because I had just seen the piece they were about to perform a few days ago. As I stepped outside, I walked into a smoking circle of about 10 to 15 men in fancy schmancy tuxedos and tails. I'm going to assume those guys were members of the Tonhalle Orchester Zürich. Who knew? Orchestra musicians in Europe go out for cigarette breaks at intermission. I guess that makes sense when you take into consideration the fact that 25% of 15 year-old boys and 30% of 15 year-old girls are smokers in this country. Oh, but then again those guys are from Switzerland. Ouch. Well, they mainly speak German in Switzerland so my figures stand.

On a sports-related note, the Yankees have limped their way into the postseason. Hooray! Funny, so did the Minnesota Twins. Funny, the Yankees will be playing the Twins in the Division Series. Funny, last year the Yankees played the Twins in the Division Series. Funny, I believe Twins' fans are going to be extra hard on those Yankees after all the terrible umpire calls last year. We shall see, folks.

I leave you with this wonderful little diddy,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMINR-wQh1M
Also, who wants to hear what I believe heaven sounds like?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeAw8ycjnro&feature=related
In particular, from 3:40 to 3:50.

Stay away from Europe, friends.
All the best,
DanielS.Rutkowski

No comments:

Post a Comment