Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Ich trinke Apfelsaft

It seems like Vienna's high-up intelligence agency people have been reading little Daniel's blog.
One night I talk about the lack of the law in the Musikverein. The next night I see at least 3 or 4 scary looking Viennese police checking out the hall at the Konzerthaus. Not bad. It was a splendid Mozartian and Mahlerian concert, by the way - even if it looked like the conductor was going to collapse at any point.
**
At the concert, I run into the usual suspects. Turns out the boys met a young lady on the U-Bahn and asked her to join them at the concert. She kindly accepted the invitation. After the concert, we paid her the favor in return and accompanied her to a little get-together at her brother's apartment where we played the "Spoons" drinking game without any drinking --- I'm not a fan of that game for a number of reasons. One of the IES Vienna staff members  once told us the students to "Squeeze the juice out of Vienna" by doing anything and everything here. Well, that's exactly what we did. We followed a stranger to an unknown neighborhood and hey, it turned out wonderfully.
**
Outside of the U-Bahn station that I frequent, Pilgramgasse, I've recently noticed lots of folks handing out pieces of paper and pens to the passersby. The past two days, there were no pens -- there were apples. I took an apple and a little pamphlet (on the front, it says "Auf die Plätze Fertig grün am 10.10.10 --- I suppose something's happening on October 10, 2010) today from a smiling stranger and subsequently ate that very apple. If I don't write a new post in the next few days, assume it's because of the apple.
**
I read something earlier about Mahler's 2nd - I included a bit of it in the post below this one. Apparently when Mahler was rehearsing the piece in France for its French premiere, Debussy and some of his French composing buddies came to watch. Then, in the middle of the second movement they walked out. Debussy said it was "too Schubertian." I don't care if you, the reader, has no idea who Franz Schubert or Gustav Mahler or Claude Debussy is but watch the below video for a few seconds and tell me if it sounds like it could've been written 200 years ago.

BYah boys and girls

No comments:

Post a Comment